187. Quasi-loans to directors: requirement of members' approval
Past version: effective from 14/06/2015 - 13/06/2015
To view other versions open the versions tab on the right
(1) This section applies to a company if it is—
(a) a public company, or
(b) a company associated with a public company.
(2) A company to which this section applies may not—
(a) make a quasi-loan to a director of the company or of its holding company, or
(b) give a guarantee or provide security in connection with a quasi-loan made by any person to such a director,
unless the transaction has been approved by a resolution of the members of the company.
(3) If the director is a director of the company's holding company, the transaction must also have been approved by a resolution of the members of the holding company.
(4) A resolution approving a transaction to which this section applies must not be passed unless a memorandum setting out the matters mentioned in subsection (5) is made available to members—
(a) in the case of a written resolution, by being sent or submitted to every eligible member at or before the time at which the proposed resolution is sent or submitted to him,
(b) in the case of a resolution at a meeting, by being made available for inspection by members of the company both—
(i) at the company's registered office for not less than 15 days ending with the date of the meeting, and
(ii) at the meeting itself.
(5) The matters to be disclosed are—
(a) the nature of the transaction,
(b) the amount of the quasi-loan and the purpose for which it is required, and
(c) the extent of the company's liability under any transaction connected with the quasi-loan.
(6) No approval is required under this section on the part of the members of a body corporate that—
(a) is not a company registered in the Abu Dhabi Global Market, or
(b) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of another body corporate.
(c) is a restricted scope company