910. Registrar's power to require production of documents
Past version: effective from 14/06/2015 - 13/06/2015
To view other versions open the versions tab on the right
(1) The Registrar may act under subsections (2) and (3) in relation to a company.
(2) The Registrar may give directions to the company requiring it—
(a) to produce such documents (or documents of such description) as may be specified in the directions,
(b) to provide such information (or information of such description) as may be so specified.
(3) The Registrar may authorise a person (an investigator) to require the company or any other person—
(a) to produce such documents (or documents of such description) as the investigator may specify,
(b) to provide such information (or information of such description) as the investigator may specify.
(4) A person on whom a requirement under subsection (3) is imposed may require the investigator to produce evidence of his authority.
(5) A requirement under subsection (2) or (3) must be complied with at such time and place as may be specified in the directions or by the investigator (as the case may be).
(6) The production of a document in pursuance of this section does not affect any lien which a person has on the document.
(7) The Registrar or the investigator (as the case may be) may take copies of or extracts from a document produced in pursuance of this section.
(8) The power under this section to require production of a document includes power, in the case of a document not in hard copy form, to require the production of a copy of the document—
(a) in hard copy form, or
(b) in a form from which a hard copy can be readily obtained.
(9) Any person who fails without reasonable excuse to comply with any requirement imposed in accordance with this section commits a contravention of these Regulations.
(10) A person who commits a contravention under this section shall be liable to a fine of up to level 7.
(11) For the purposes of sections 912 and 915 (provision for security of information) documents obtained under this section shall be treated as if they had been obtained under the provision of this Part under which their production was or, as the case may be, could have been required.
(12) In this section "document" includes information recorded in any form.
(13) A statement made by a person in compliance with a requirement under section 910 may be used in evidence against him.