165. Penalty for unauthorised use or disclosure
(1) This section applies if —
(a) an application is made under section 160 in relation to recovery of a judgment debt ("the relevant judgment debt");
(b) an information order is made in consequence of that application; and
(c) information ("debtor information") is disclosed in accordance with the order.
(2) A person to whom the debtor information is disclosed commits a contravention of these Regulations if he —
(a) uses or discloses the debtor information; and
(b) the use or disclosure is not authorised by any of subsections (3) to (6).
(3) The use or disclosure of debtor information is authorised if it is in accordance with section 164.
(4) The use or disclosure of the debtor information is authorised if it is —
(a) in accordance with an enactment or order of Court; or
(b) for the purposes of any proceedings before a Court,
and it is in accordance with rules.
(5) The use or disclosure of debtor information is authorised if the information has previously been lawfully disclosed to the public.
(6) The use or disclosure of debtor information is authorised if it is in accordance with court procedure rules that comply with rules made under subsection (7).
(7) Rules may make provision about the circumstances, if any, in which court procedure rules may allow access to, or the supply of, information disclosed in accordance with an information order.
(8) A person who makes an unauthorised use or disclosure of debtor information shall not incur any liability for any such breach under subsection (2) if he proves that he reasonably believed that the use or disclosure was authorised or was otherwise lawful.
(9) A person who commits a contravention under subsection (2) is liable to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard fines scale.