30. Appointment of persons to carry out general investigations
(1) If it appears to the Registrar that there is good reason for doing so, it may appoint one or more competent persons to conduct an investigation on its behalf into —
(a) the nature, conduct or state of the business of a licensed person;
(b) a particular aspect of that business; or
(c) the ownership or control of a licensed person.
(2) If a person appointed under subsection (1) thinks it necessary for the purposes of his investigation, he may also investigate the business of a person who is or has at any relevant time been —
(a) a member of the group of which the person under investigation ("A") is part; or
(b) a partnership of which A is a member.
(3) If a person appointed under subsection (1) decides to investigate the business of any person under subsection (2) he must give that person written notice of his decision.
(4) The power conferred by this section may be exercised in relation to a former licensed person but only in relation to —
(a) business carried on at any time when he was a licensed person; or
(b) the ownership or control of a former licensed person at any time when he was a licensed person.
(5) "Business" includes any part of a business even if it does not consist of carrying on controlled activities.