647. Return to Registrar of purchase of own shares
(1) Where a company purchases shares under this Chapter, it must deliver a return to the Registrar within the period of one month beginning with the date on which the shares are delivered to it, but not if it is a restricted scope company in which case this section shall not apply.
(2) The return must distinguish-
(a) shares in relation to which section 666 (treasury shares) applies and shares in relation to which that section does not apply, and
(b) shares in relation to which that section applies-
(i) that are cancelled forthwith (under section 670 (cancellation of treasury shares)), and
(ii) that are not so cancelled.
(3) The return must state, with respect to shares of each class purchased-
(a) the number and aggregate price of the shares purchased, and
(b) the date on which they were delivered to the company.
(4) In the case of a public company the return must also state-
(a) the aggregate amount paid by the company for the shares, and
(b) the maximum and minimum prices paid in respect of shares of each class purchased.
(5) Particulars of shares delivered to the company on different dates and under different contracts may be included in a single return.
In such a case the amount required to be stated under subsection 647(4)(a) is the aggregate amount paid by the company for all the shares to which the return relates.
(6) If default is made in complying with this section a contravention of these Regulations is committed by every officer of the company who is in default.
(7) A person who commits a contravention under this section is liable to a level 1 fine.